Chicago 430 S. Michigan Ave.Chicago, IL 60605(312) 341-3500
Schaumburg 1400 N. Roosevelt Blvd.Schaumburg, IL 60173(847) 619-7300
A Type 10 Special K-12 Certificate with an Endorsement as a Reading Specialist authorizes the holder to teach reading and to provide technical assistance and professional development to teachers.
Please follow the steps below to facilitate a smooth certifcation process. If you have questions at any point along the way, please consult your advisor as soon as possible.
Successfully complete Master's Degree program in Reading and have MA officially posted
Successfully complete all required state certification tests
* 300: Basic Skills - Must be passed prior to program entry
* 176: Readng Specialist - Must be passed prior to recommendation for entitlement
* 104: Assessment of Professional Teaching - Must be passed prior to recommendation for entitlement
Submit to the Certification Officer by hand or by mail:
* A completed Application for Certificate. Click here to view a sample completed form.
* A letter on official letterhead, signed by the appropriate administrator, from your school district verifying a minimum of two years of teaching experience. The letter must specify grade level and subject taught.
Once all documentation is received and reviewed, you will receive an email letting you know that you have either been recommended for entitlement or that there are requirements you still need to fulfill before you can be recommended. If the latter is the case, the email will detail what is missing. Do not proceed to step 5 until you have have completed all requirements above AND received the email from Roosevelt's certification officer confirming that you have been recommended for entitlement.
If you have been recommended for entitlement, the email will provide directions on the online steps you need to take to complete the certification process with the Illinois State Board of Education. Please note that there is a fee associated with this process and that you will be required to submit official, sealed copies of all college/university transcripts to ISBE.