Search Roosevelt University

Student Employment

More in the this section...

Roosevelt University is committed to offering an environment for working and learning in which students are treated with respect, dignity, and equal opportunity. University employment promotes student engagement, strengthens connections to the Roosevelt community, enhances student life and success, provides professional development and training opportunities, offers service and experiential learning along with financial support. It is the policy of Roosevelt University to employ current Roosevelt University students in appropriate and available part-time positions. All student employment positions are available exclusively to current Roosevelt students registered for at least six credit hours. Student employment is managed by the Office of Career Development in conjunction with Human Resources and Financial Aid (for those students who qualify for Federal Work Study).

Students who wish to be considered for on-campus positions must apply for positions through the Career Central job posting system. Students who are rehired to the same position in a new academic year must submit a new application for the position through Career Central.

Please direct student employment questions via email to You can also reach us via phone at 312-341-3560.


A student who is actively enrolled in the current term for a minimum of 6 credit hours and degree/certificate-seeking at Roosevelt University is eligible for student employment.

A student may also be eligible only under the following circumstances:

  • A student can work the summer term immediately following their spring graduation.  International students are not eligible to work after graduation.  
  • A student at Roosevelt University who completes a degree/certificate seeking program in the spring term and who is registered for the following fall term may work through the summer term. 

A student who is no longer enrolled at the University terminates his or her eligibility for student employment. 

Students may apply for and be awarded Federal Work Study grants through the Office of Financial Aid. 

Student Employment Handbook
What to do once hired/Onboarding

Important Information

Welcome to student employment at Roosevelt University. Only sign up for a session after you have been hired for an on-campus job and if you have never worked at Roosevelt University before.  You must attend a session before you can begin working.  You and your supervisor will receive a confirmation email from Aaron Kennedy on your Roosevelt email account when you are authorized to begin working.

REQUIRED before attending:

  • Step 1: Complete section 1 of the I-9 at  The employer code for Roosevelt University is 13955.
  • Step 2: Gather I-9 documents that are acceptable for eligibility verification.  Documents must be originals and must be presented in person.  Copies or faxes cannot be accepted.  The list acceptable documents can be found at
  • Step 3: Bring your original I-9 documents from step 2 to the onboarding session (copies cannot legally be accepted).  You will not be admitted to the session and cannot start working without bringing your original, acceptable documents.  Please call 312-341-3560 or email if you have questions about this requirement.

OPTIONAL before attending:

  • Complete federal and state W-4 forms.  If you do not complete these ahead of time, we will have blank forms available to complete at the onboarding session.
  • Complete a direct deposit enrollment form.  Direct deposit is highly encouraged, though not required.  This form can be completed and printed prior to going to the session, but we will also have blank forms available.

Chicago Registration

To schedule an onboarding session at the Chicago Campus, please visit our Onboarding registration page on Eventbrite.

Schaumburg Registration

To schedule an onboarding session at the Schaumburg Campus, please email Danette Schulz at

International Students

On-Campus Employment for F-1 and J-1 Students

  • F-1 and J-1 students who are maintaining status may work on-campus. Employment is limited to no more than 12 hours per week at all times as per Roosevelt University’s student employment policy.
  • It is your responsibility to find an on-campus job.
  • If you find a job, you must request work authorization from the Office of International Programs before you begin. You may download the On-Campus Work Authorization Form and submit it to the International Programs office.
  • Attend the On-boarding session from Student Employment [link to career central on-boarding page - currently]
  • If you are working for the first time in the U.S., you must obtain a Social Security Number for tax purposes. If you already have a Social Security Number, you do not need to apply again.

Off-Campus Employment for F-1 Students

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)
  • 24 Month STEM OPT Extension

Off-Campus Employment for J-1 Students

Students in J-1 status may be authorized to participate in Academic Training to gain practical work experience in their field of study. You may be authorized for Academic Training during your program or after you have finished your study. You must receive written approval from International Programs at least two weeks before the program end date on your form DS-2019.

  • You must have a valid DS-2019 issued by Roosevelt University. If your DS-2019 was not issued by Roosevelt University, please contact your program sponsor regarding Academic Training authorization requirements and procedures.
  • You must be maintaining your J-1 student status and in good academic standing.
  • Academic Training must be directly related to your field of study as listed on your DS-2019.
  • You must have permission from your home institution or sponsor to engage in practical training.
  • You must have an internship offer and request authorization before the end date listed on your DS-2019 (no extensions or academic training authorizations can be issued after the program expiration date).
  • Academic Training may be granted for a maximum of 18 months or the period of time spent as a full-time J-1 student at Roosevelt, whichever is shorter. For example, if you are on a one-semester program, you are eligible for a maximum of one semester (i.e. four months) of Academic Training.
  • Academic Training can be full-time or part-time.
  • Internships must begin no more than 30 days after program completion.
  • Step I: Submit the following documents to the Office of International Programs:
    • Letter from you internship employer including
      • a description of the training program
      • company’s location
      • name and contact information of your internship supervisor
      • number of hours per week you will be working
      • exact dates you will be working (beginning and ending dates).
    • Letter (this may be an email or fax) from your home institution or J-1 sponsor approving your eligibility to engage in academic training based on the internship offer letter and appropriateness of training program.
  • Step II
    • International student advsiror will evaluate the above Academic Training documentation.
    • If Academic Training is granted, International Programs will issue a new form DS-2019 authorizing your academic training.
  • Step III
    • Pick up your DS-2019 and the Academic Training authorization letter from the Office of International Programs.
    • Please allow 5-10 business days to complete your request. You will be notified if the request is approved.