Chicago 430 S. Michigan Ave.Chicago, IL 60605(312) 341-3500
Schaumburg 1400 N. Roosevelt Blvd.Schaumburg, IL 60173(847) 619-7300
1. Roosevelt University, "School," has entered into this Application and Contract with the Resident for one of the following housing options and costs for the Academic Year listed at the top of this contract. Although efforts will be made to accommodate requests, there is no guarantee of housing preferences.
2. Payment Schedule: The $500 prepayment that is submitted with the housing application and contract shall be applied toward spring semester housing costs and is non-refundable after June 1 for residents moving on campus beginning the fall semester and November 1 for residents moving on campus beginning the spring semester. Payment for housing and meals pursuant to this Application and Contract will be due in full at the beginning of each Term for the respective Term.
3. This Application and Contract is for an assigned space in a Unit at the Wabash Building, 425 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, (“Wabash”) owned and managed by Roosevelt University, at the University Center, located at 525 South State Street, Chicago, Illinois, ("UC"), owned by Educational Advancement Fund, Inc. ("EAF") and managed by U.S. Equities Student Housing ("Facility Manager"), at the Roosevelt on Washington in Fornelli Hall, located at 55 East Washington Street, Chicago, Illinois, ("ROW"), owned by 55 E Washington Development , LLC and managed by Fornelli Hall Management ("Facility Manager"), or at the other University-designated residence halls and is not for a specific unit or accommodation. The School or its assignee reserves the right to change or transfer unit assignment, and to assign additional residents to fill vacancies in multiple-occupancy units. THIS APPLICATION AND CONTRACT IS NOT A LEASE NOR DOES IT PROVIDE ANY PROPERTY INTEREST.
4. This Application and Contract begins at 10:00 a.m. and ends at 12:00 p.m. of the term dates unless otherwise approved by School or its assignee. Additional charges may apply for early move-in and late check-out based on the move-in or check-out dates advertised by the School.
5. By submitting this Application and Contract, Resident assumes financial responsibility for the full Application and Contract Term, regardless of whether the Unit is occupied for the duration of the Application and Contract. Resident is responsible for confirming if payment for this Application and Contract is covered by a financial aid program. Resident agrees to make full and prompt payment to School or its assignee by the published payment deadlines, and in such amounts as are required under this Application and Contract. Resident agrees to pay for any cost increases to the housing assigned in this Application and Contract.
6. All applications and contracts, submissions, and requests for Application and Contract cancellations or amendments must be made in writing with the Office of Residence Life of Roosevelt University. Charges for room and board will remain on a Resident's account until such documentation is received and reviewed by the Office of Residence Life. No verbal or written requests sent to any other departments will serve to cancel or amend this Application and Contract. Failure to occupy an assigned space does not negate this Application and Contract. Failure to occupy space by the end of the first class day of a semester may result in this Application and Contract being cancelled and the Resident being charged the Application and Contract cost. In the event of removal from residence for disciplinary reasons, room and board refunds may be withheld. The prepayment that is submitted with the Application and Contract is refundable to the Resident's account only if the Application and Contract is cancelled in writing by June 1 for residents moving on campus beginning in the fall semester or November 1 for residents moving on campus beginning in the spring semester. The prepayment is forfeited and a penalty will be assessed if the Resident fails to submit the cancellation in accordance with the timelines and requirements of this paragraph, or fails to fulfill the terms of this Application and Contract or departs from housing at any time before the end of the Application and Contract period, despite being released from the Application and Contract. Penalties include all or a portion of the room and board cost based on the contract term. Amendments to Application and Contract may result in additional charges and penalty fees.
7. Assignment of Space: Continuing/returning students who apply during the spring room selection process have first priority for residence hall space in the fall semester. New student residents who apply are assigned in the order of the date that the Application and Contract and pre-payment are received. No assignment will be made without the pre-payment. This agreement is for a space within Wabash, UC, ROW, or any University-designated residence halls. Specific unit type/roommate requests will be considered. Every effort is made to assign students to their preferred residence hall space, but it is not always possible to match preference with the space that is available. The University will attempt to honor such preferences, but no guarantee can be made. Inability to honor assignment preference does not void the Application and Contract. If space cannot be assigned, the pre-payment is automatically refunded and the Application and Contract becomes void. School reserves the right to assign a Resident to a temporary space or temporarily increase the occupancy of a Unit based on housing demand.
8. Neither the School nor the Resident has an obligation to renew this Application and Contract.
9. A Unit shall be occupied solely by the Resident or Residents assigned to that Unit.
10. All Residents assigned to a Unit are jointly and severally liable for all damage or defacement of their Unit and loss or damage to its furnishings. Each Resident is liable for any damage or defacement of public/common areas of Wabash, UC, ROW or any University-designated residence hall and loss or damage to EAF's, Roosevelt University's or other University-designated residence hall owner’s equipment or furnishings directly or indirectly caused by the Resident. Resident agrees to assume full responsibility for the conduct and actions of guests, including guests' harm to individuals or damage or defacement of EAF, Roosevelt University or other University-designated residence hall property and shall be liable for all damage or defacement of EAF's, Roosevelt University's or other University-designated residence hall owner’s property by the Resident's guests.
11. Resident, on his or her own behalf and on behalf of his or her guests, agrees to fully comply with all directions from the Facility Manager and the School or its assignee and the policies and regulations (including all amendments and additions) during the Application and Contract Term contained in the Wabash, UC, ROW or any University-designated residence hall Resident Student Handbook and School Student Handbook.
12. The School reserves the right to require a Resident to seek physical or psychological evaluation if, in its opinion, it feels the Resident is at risk of harming himself/herself or others. The School reserves the right to contact the legal guardians or emergency contact of any resident to inform them of hospitalization, serious injury, physical impairment or serious concern that may affect the Resident’s status at the School.
13. The Wabash, UC, ROW or any University-designated residence hall operates on the School calendar. This Application and Contract will not include charges for such regular academic year and vacation periods and breaks that may occur during the period of this Application and Contract for students residing in the Wabash, UC, ROW, or any University-designated residence hall. Residents are required to move out at the end of their contract term. Residents on annual contracts who are continuing housing for the next term may remain in housing until the new term begins.
14. EAF and Roosevelt University do not permit controlled substances, illegal drugs, firearms or other weapons, or smoking on the premises of the Wabash, UC, ROW or any University-designated residence hall including individual Units as defined in the Wabash, UC, ROW or any University-designated residence hall Resident Student Handbook and School Student Handbook. Resident agrees to comply (and assures guests comply) with all federal, state or local laws, ordinances or regulations including, but not limited to, the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
15. The School, Facility Manager, and EAF do not assume any liability, directly or indirectly, for loss or damage to Resident's or Resident's guests' personal property by fire, theft, or any other cause. Residents are encouraged to obtain personal property insurance coverage.
16. Resident is required to have health insurance coverage and provide proof of coverage prior to the published deadlines. If a Resident does not have individual insurance or is not covered by an employer or family member plan, the School-designated insurance plan must be purchased. Details of this plan are available in a separate brochure from the Office of Student Services. School reserves the right to enroll and charge Resident for School-designated insurance plan if Resident does not provide valid proof of coverage by the published deadline.
17. Resident agrees to maintain Unit in a clean, safe, and sanitary condition and exercise all due care in the use of Wabash’s, UC's, ROW's or any University-designated residence hall common area and facilities. School or its assignee and Facility Manager reserve the right to enter a Unit at any time with or without notice for tours, maintenance or repair purposes, or when there is reasonable suspicion to believe that a situation exists that could cause danger to life, safety, health or property, or that represents a violation of this Application and Contract. Resident shall make no alterations or additions to the Unit.
18. School or its assignee reserves the right to terminate resident's possession and occupancy of a Unit if a Resident fails to maintain School eligibility requirements, for conduct prohibited by or in breach of this Application and Contract including failure to make payments pursuant to this Application and Contract, or for a violation of the Wabash, UC, ROW or any University-designated residence hall Resident Student Handbook and School Student Handbook, or if in the judgment of the School or its assignee, continued residency will or may be detrimental to the educational process, health, safety, or welfare of School, EAF, Facility Manager, their employees, or any other members of the Wabash, UC, ROW or any University-designated residence hall community. If School or its assignee elects to terminate possession and occupancy of a Unit, Resident must move out within 48 hours after receiving notice (this timeline can be shortened at the discretion of School or its assignee).
19. School may assign and/or re-assign this Application and Contract, including any of the rights of the School under this Application and Contract. Resident shall neither assign the Unit nor this Application and Contract or any part of this Application and Contract. This Application and Contract may not be modified, amended, or revised except in writing by an authorized representative of School or its assignee. If any clause or provision of this Application and Contract shall be found to be unenforceable or inapplicable, the remaining sections shall not be voided.
20. In consideration of occupying the Unit, Resident agrees to ASSUME ALL RISKS associated with occupancy in the Unit and at Wabash, UC, ROW or any University-designated residence hall and agrees to hold harmless, release, reimburse, defend and indemnify EAF, 55 E Washington Development LLC, Facility Manager, Columbia College Chicago, DePaul University and Roosevelt University, their subsidiaries and affiliates, and their respective agents, employees, representatives, assignees, trustees, directors, officers, members and shareholders (each hereinafter a "Released Party") from any and all liabilities, claims, lawsuits, actions, costs, damages, or losses, including attorney fees, costs and expenses as a result of breach of this Application and Contract or for injury or death to persons or damage or theft to property arising from occupancy or use of the Unit and the Wabash, UC, ROW and any University-designated residence hall premises, including those injuries and damages caused by the Released Party's alleged or actual: (1) NEGLIGENCE OR (2) BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY. By execution of this Release, Resident agrees to indemnify each Released Party for any injuries to Resident or to other person(s) or property that Resident may cause as a result of occupancy of the Unit and the Wabash, UC, ROW and any University-designated residence hall premises.
21. In consideration of occupancy of the Unit, RESIDENT CONTRACTUALLY AGREES that ALL claims for injury and/or death shall be GOVERNED BY ILLINOIS LAW and EXCLUSIVE JURISDICTION shall be in the Circuit Court residing where the alleged incident occurred or in Federal Court for the State of Illinois. This Release shall be binding to the fullest extent permitted by law. If any provision of this Release is found to be unenforceable, the remaining terms shall be enforceable.
22. To secure payment of the room and board fee, Resident hereby authorizes irrevocably any Attorney of any Court of record to appear for Resident in such Court, in term time or vacation, at any time after due date of the fee, and confess a judgment, without process, in favor of Roosevelt University and/or its assignee, for such amount as may appear to be unpaid on this Application and Contract, together with reasonable costs of collection, including attorney's fees, and to waive and release all errors which may intervene in any such proceedings and consent to immediate execution upon such judgment, hereby ratifying and confirming all that said Attorney may do by virtue hereof. If this Application and Contract is signed by more than one person, all obligations and authorization hereunder shall be joint and several.
23. Resident has carefully read, fully understands and voluntarily agrees to this Application and Contract and acknowledges that it shall be effective and binding upon myself and my family, heirs, executors, representatives and estate once the Application and Contract is submitted. Parent(s) must sign as a guarantor for any minor under 18 years of age. To do this, the parent(s) should print this Application and Contract and mail a signed copy to the Office of Residence Life, Roosevelt University, 430 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL, 60605.